× Discuss the content on your favorite station.

Is shortwave listening dead?

colin created the topic: Is shortwave listening dead?

4 months 2 weeks ago

In light of the fact that Radio Australia is leaving the air joining that many more broadcasters that have left the air for the "mouse clicks" and streaming services for those privileged enough to have high speed internet, is it the end?

Ham radio is thriving on SW - but it is becoming increasingly apparent that the end of the road for SWLing is visible in the distance.

Your thoughts?

The following user(s) said Thank You: timdav

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

timdav replied the topic: Is shortwave listening dead?

4 months 1 week ago

I very much miss over the air EE shortwave broadcasters of the past. Many no longer even stream their stations, as far as I know.i.e.: Holland, CBC Int'll, Switzerland, HCJB, etc.).

Oh how the internet has changed our lives!

73's,

Tim
near Akron, Ohio, USA
KD8GZ

colin replied the topic: Is shortwave listening dead?

4 months 1 week ago

The only danger of all these media outlets putting their eggs in the internet and streaming basket is the fragility of the internet and the ability to jam or filter it at the click of a mouse.

Once the option of international radio broadcasting is gone, it is likely gone forever.

With the new Trump administration starting out in the next month it is going to be interesting to see how things escalate Worldwide.

And I am NOT saying that President elect Trump is going to trigger this directly - His lack of experience with foreign policy and the overall lay of the land could be problematic --

A good example of how he is dealing with the PRC (China) by talking directly to Taiwan (which has never been done before...)
is going to be really interesting.

Strap yourselves in folks!

timdav replied the topic: Is shortwave listening dead?

3 months 2 weeks ago

Colin...While I'm not a fan & have little faith in the honesty of politicians in either major US political party...there is no doubt the Trump election has caused varying degrees of uneasiness and anxiety in America and in other countries.

God knows what he & the GOP with full power will do to the FCC, the Internet, and a wide variety of government services that effects average US citizens and our everyday freedoms.

Despite the concerns with the reliability of our aging power grid and the fragility of over relying on the internet...it seems over the air radio is a fading enterprise. That is a shame and possibly a cause for future concern. But, that is the direction everything is heading.

A strange vibe out there...world wide. Fingers crossed for better times and more radio, not less.

73's,

Tim, KD8GZ

Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by timdav.
The following user(s) said Thank You: colin

twinlake replied the topic: Is shortwave listening dead?

3 months 1 day ago

Not only is there fragility with existing services. The lack of critical thinking, along with blind acceptance, has led to a lack of future citizens willing to
forsake a hobby and skill set. I spend considerable effort and time to HEAR many sources of information the average citizen cannot hear.
I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid today. Long live MW and SW! I can only wish.

The following user(s) said Thank You: timdav