Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I fell off the fence !!!

I fell off the fence !!! 5 years 7 months ago #1931

• buckeyeair
I have been sitting on the fence, un-decided between the Drake R8 and the Palstar R-30A and was leaning towards the Palstar because of it's ability to be used mobile from 12vdc, then saw last night where the R-8 can also be operated from a 12vdc supply such as a car battery (or as Gerry Thomas-of Quantum loop Fame- suggested, one of the 12 volt batteries on my mobility scooter or power wheel chair)so today I purchased an R-8 that looks to be in excellent condition. I am looking forward to learning the ins and outs of this fine receiver...
73's
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:I fell off the fence !!! 5 years 7 months ago #1933

• Ed Gonzalez
Drakes are great specially the R8A and B.
Now you need agood antenna... and you are all set...

My R75 is working fine... I just needed a crash course on how to operate... last night I logged North Corea... SIO of 3... they are still talking about the comm. satellite...

Re:I fell off the fence !!! 5 years 7 months ago #1943

• buckeyeair
Ed;
The more I use the Quantum QX Loop the better I get at DXing....when you and I spoke on the phone the other night, I realized later that I had the loop set on the wrong freq. There is definetly a learning curve involved in getting the most out of the QX and I am slowly getting there...I do like it alot...when I purchased it I also got the QX Coupler and have used it several times with my Eton E100---pretty cool what the little receiver will do and I have not even alighned it as of yet. Do you still have your longwire outside or has the local gestopo...thrown you in the Brig and taken your toys away?!!! :woohoo:
73's

Re:I fell off the fence !!! 5 years 7 months ago #1947

• Ed Gonzalez
not yet.. the HOA hounds... are quiet...
Like you I was using the wrong settings in my R75... now is a lot better... last night picked HAM guys in 1880khz... Looked up their callsigns in QRZ.com, and a reception report is in the mail... hopefully I will get a nice QSL card...

Re:I fell off the fence !!! 5 years 7 months ago #1956

• buckeyeair
I have heard alot of GOOD feedback about the R-75's and they sure have a ton of options available
www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/0175.html
I guess the new ones are coming with the UT-106 DSP option I believe it is already installed....sweeeeet
73's

Re:I fell off the fence !!! 5 years 7 months ago #1958

• Ed Gonzalez
yep... mine has it...
I am now considering a Drake SW8... it is in ebay...
but... I should not spend the money...
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Hot Links!

We have some favorite links that we visit regularly that make a huge contribution to the hobby!