Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Icom R75 or Eton E1???

Icom R75 or Eton E1??? 5 years 7 months ago #1847

• Ed Gonzalez
I am thinking about buying a new radio... I have 2 candidates the Eton E1(non XM version) or the Icom R75??? Any thoughts???
The other candidate is Drake R8 used. Any advise???
I don't care about memories, just performance. My primary interest is shortwave listening. Not SSB or utility.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Icom R75 or Eton E1??? 5 years 7 months ago #1850

• gkinsman
Hi Ed,

I currently own an R75, and I have owed E1XMs in the past. From what I can determine, the R75 has far better build quality, quality control and reliability than the E1/E1XM. The main advantage of the E1 is its excellent sync detector. Even the Kiwa sync mod for the R75 doesn't come close to the sync in the E1; the latter is equivalent to the sync in the Sat 800, but it adds a DSB sync mode.

Unfortunately, I got two high serial number E1XM units with excessive noise in USB and LSB sync, and Drake was unable to correct the problem. I've used other E1XMs that had no such sync noise, so it's not a design issue, but rather a quality control issue.

My advice is that if you want to try the E1 or E1XM, buy from a authorized dealer, to get a valid one year warranty, and if the radio has any odd problems, like the sync noise I mentioned, then just return it for a refund. If it has a common problem, like the FM stereo lock issue, then send it to Drake for repair.

Regards,
Gary

Re:Icom R75 or Eton E1??? 5 years 7 months ago #1851

• Ed Gonzalez
Thanks Gary... Looks like I will be calling Universal prety soon...

Re:Icom R75 or Eton E1??? 5 years 7 months ago #1857

Performance wise I would take the Drake R8 1st, the Icom R-75 next and the Eton E1 last. The Eton E1 tends to overload on strong signals much more than the Drake or Icom,
You will be very pleased with the sync detector in the R8.

73 Warren K2ORS

Re:Icom R75 or Eton E1??? 5 years 7 months ago #1860

• Ed Gonzalez
Warren, I had been hunting for a R8A or R8B... but no luck yet... I also need to install an outside antenna... but I live in a deed restricted sub-division... they are like the Nazi gestapo....:angry: :angry: :angry:

What about the SW8????

Re:Icom R75 or Eton E1??? 5 years 7 months ago #1867

Ed,

The SW-8 is a stripped down, cheaper version of the R8. As for antennas, there must be a way to disguise a small wire (with a clothesline, up a flagpole etc) - indoor antennas are always much inferior to an outdoor wire!

Good luck!
73 Warren K2ORS
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds

Hot Links!

We have some favorite links that we visit regularly that make a huge contribution to the hobby!