Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: tabletop receiver

tabletop receiver 6 years 2 months ago #1157

• P.Israel
I would like to purchase one tabletop receiver covering all sw frequencies.Could any one suggest which will be better. I am living in India,currently I am using Philip 4 band and Grunding tr 600 both have developed problems. I am living southern India.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:tabletop receiver 6 years 2 months ago #1161

• colin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
What is your budget?

Re:tabletop receiver 6 years 2 months ago #1163

• Peter
The problem is that currently there are only very few table top communication receivers being produced. Probably the most affordable of them is Icom R75 - especially if you can get it with free internal DSP board installed. (Unless of course you can spring for something like AOR AR7030+...) The R75 is decently built and has very good parameters. It is not perfect - it doesn't have (working) sync detector to speak of and certainly benefits from adding opional filters. Also the AGC modification done by many people greatly improves sound quality.

If you don't mind used equipment, you can find less expensive second-hand table-top receivers. Check out the www.eham.net for reviews on different receivers - their strengths and weakneses.

However, if your primary concern is reliability and not necessarily table-top grade specs, check out Sony ICF-SW7600G(R) or Grundig G5/Eton E5 radios. They are very reliable and good performers. Also Degen DE1103 is quite decent but more prone to overloading with an external antenna than Grundig G5.

My shorwave journey started over a decade ago with Sony ICF-SW7600G. And I still use it, and it still works great. :)

Good luck!
Peter

Re:tabletop receiver 6 years 2 months ago #1164

• colin
  • Administrator
Jumping in: The Eton E1 gives table-top performance at desktop prices.

Selectable sideband sync detection... 3 sensible bandwidths... memories... variable tuning rates... awesome sensitivity on all bands... functional band-pass tuning. Superb SSB reception...

Re:tabletop receiver 6 years 2 months ago #1165

• carl_elissa
I understand that the E-1 does not have an internal ferrite antenna which is a drawback.But it does have an external antenna connection.

Re:tabletop receiver 6 years 2 months ago #1167

• colin
  • Administrator
I have not found the lack of a ferrite to be an issue on medium-wave...
and judging by its performance on trans-pacific medium and long wave signals, it would say it might actually be an advantage.

Sure, you do not get the directional performance of the ferrite BUT you could hook the external antenna connection to a couple loop or Wellbrook antenna - and direction find and null to your hearts content.

;)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Hot Links!

We have some favorite links that we visit regularly that make a huge contribution to the hobby!